Fleet Management Issues
The state of the UK’s roads
Are damaged roads in your area causing your company fleet management issues? The winter floods caused great damage and hardship in many areas of the UK. Flood damaged roads are being repaired and residents are trying to get their homes and businesses back to normal.
Many areas of the country have roads that have been water damaged, but not by the floods. The AA have released a report on the state of Britain’s water damaged roads. It’s not the floods that have caused the issue – poorly maintained drains could be the problem
“While 68% of 23,700 AA-Populus survey respondents are prepared to accept that extreme weather has contributed to roads turning into watercourses, 67% blame councils for not maintaining drains well enough.”
Local roads water damaged
AA-Populus conducted the survey between 20-27 January 2014. It asked drivers about local roads and how the local authorities deal with surface water. The problems may be more widespread that previously thought.
“It finds that 71% of the AA members support the view (24% strongly) that “there are one or two notorious spots where big puddles develop on the road but everyone local knows about them and just deals with them”.”
“There are one or two notorious spots where big puddles develop on the road but everyone local knows about them and deals with it:
- Scotland: Agree 73% (strongly 26%, slightly 46%)
- North East: Agree 71% (strongly 24%, slightly 48%)
- North West: Agree 69% (strongly 22%, slightly 47%)
- Yorks & Humberside: Agree 67% (strongly 21%, slightly 46%)
- West Midlands: Agree 72% (strongly 25%, slightly 47%)
- East Midlands: Agree 69% (strongly 23%, slightly 46%)
- Wales: Agree 70% (strongly 26%, slightly 44%)
- East Anglia: Agree 70% (strongly 23%, slightly 47%)
- London: Agree 56% (strongly 15%, slightly 40%)
- South East: Agree 76% (strongly 27%, slightly 49%)
- South West: Agree 76% (strongly 28%, slightly 48%)
- Northern Ireland: Agree 65% (strongly 22%, slightly 43%)
- National figure: 71% agree”
Fleet Management issues – Local roads
The AA will be repeating the survey next year. Hopefully we’ll see if local roads are improving as councils look at local drainage and road maintenance.
There are plenty of fleet management issues that take up the time of those responsible for looking after company vehicles. With the AA shining a light on the avoidable damage and delays caused by water damage and localised flooding, we’re hoping the situation could improve.
Are there areas that your company vehicle drivers know to avoid in wet weather?